Monday, May 14, 2012

Lime Pie

Jacqueline inspired this pie. 
and then I realized I had a similar recipe from my grandmother
whose cooking I never really knew,
but whose recipe box I photographed extensively.
So I melded their recipes,
Then I added some of my own inspiration
and I must say
the product was QUITE delicious!
I divided it into two small pies
to serve to two different groups of friends
and everyone raved
even the 'I dont like lime tarts' naysayers
But I'd guess it could make 1 good 9x9in dish
Crust:
18 petit beurre cookies, crushed
or 5-6 graham crackers
stirred in with 4tbsp coconut flakes
and 2-3 tsp sugar
and finally, 125g/8-9tbsp melted butter
the crumbs should stick in a ball when squeezed in your fist
if not, add more butter!
Press firmly into the bottom of a spring release pan
or a tin lined baking sheet like I did
bake for 15-20 minutes at 185ºC/350ºF
or until lightly browned
let cool 

Lime layer:
2 eggs + 2 yolks (save the whites for next step)
plus 1/2c sugar
grate the zest of two limes
or three if you really like the tartness!
then squeeze in their juice
1/2 c crème légère
Whip all this together and place in your double boiler
Meaning, mix it in a metal bowl,
put a pot of water on to boil
and fit the metal bowl over top
but make sure no water gets in your batter
it should leave a film on a wooden spoon dipped in
cool, pour in crust

Meringue:
Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºC
 put 2-3 egg whites in a very large bowl
add pinch of salt
and beat the heck out of it with a whisk.
Until you get stiff peaks, in fact
there are a million videos of this online, 
and it can be done easily with a mixer!
add 2-3 T sugar and beat just a minute more
 pour over top of the lime layer
sprinkle coconut and lime gratings over top
bake at 180 till just browned
Refrigerate for at least 5 hours!!!!
remove from pan, remove



Jacqueline's shortcut, but oh so good as an idea all on its own, version coming soon!






No comments:

Post a Comment