Thursday, October 1, 2009

Biscuits, a revised version


I grew up loving my mom's biscuits, but who said its not possible to improve on something you already love? These should be a little bit sweeter, and a lot fluffier than mom's, though still the nice, dense biscuit that is perfect for saturday morning.

2 1/2 - 3 c self rising flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tablespoon sugar
not quite 1 tsp salt
about 1/2 stick butter (not margarine!)
about 1 1/2 c milk (go for the 1 or 2%, its worth it)


Stir together the first four ingredients (the dry ingredients) with a fork and then shred the butter like you would cheese on a cheese grater. Stir the butter into the flour every few grates so that all the butter doesn't clump back together.
~This is an alternative to 'cutting in' the butter, which I grew up doing. A great suggestion from Rebecca; Thanks Rebecca! (im going to try your chicken pie soon!)

Using a fork, stir in the milk about a half a cup at a time. Mom never could tell me a measurement because she can just add enough so that it 'looks right,' but since I haven't picked up that skill yet this was my best shot. 

It should be a fairly sticky dough; nothing like bread dough that you might have seen kneaded. You don't really want to stick your hand in it. I mean, maybe you do, I don't know.

Use the fork to plop handfuls of dough (size depending on how big you want your biscuits) into a plate or bowl of flour and turn it over once. This should coat the dough just enough so that you can handle it without the batter sticking to you. Lightly pat the biscuits into shape and place on a baking sheet, touching. In the picture you can see I just use the lid to my grandmother's cake pan as a baking sheet... its aluminum!

Bake at 425 for about 15-20 minutes.
Mom has hers down to a science at exactly 13 minutes, but whether its the baking soda, the size of my biscuits, or something else, this wasn't enough. I wanted a golden crust, which took about 21 minutes. Just watch them; they're done when they start to brown.

They should pull apart easily after baking

No comments:

Post a Comment