Sunday, September 13, 2009

Granola


This recipe is so variable. There are no exact measurements as far as I am concerned because all you're doing is browning your favorite granola ingredients with some sweetener/binding. So vary as you'd like, but here's mine!

I based it off of Companion Bakery's recipe here: (note: I am in love with this place. Amazing recipes. Awesome business ideals. I cant wait to get brunch there sometime :) )

http://www.companionstl.com/Recipes/granola.pdf

3 c oats (I am going to try rolled oats next time
a handful of pecans, broken into small pieces
a handful of walnuts, same
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2-3/4 c honey, or as much as it takes to make everything stick slightly together as you stir them

Heat oven to 35o F and stir together ingredients. Nothing fancy about that except that I would be sure to pour the vanilla onto the honey so it doesn't all get soaked up by one or two oats before you can stir it in.


Spread evenly in a 9x9 baking pan and bake for about 35 minutes; I stirred mine at 7 minute intervals, or everytime it started to look brown on top.

Let them cool completely before stirring in any dried fruit you want to use (I prefer not, but I am DEFINITELY trying some dates next time. Note: use a spatula to scrape the bottom of the pan slowly before it is cooled and before pouring the granola out. It just makes for easier cleanup because oats don't fly all over the kitchen.

This batch was pretty crispy and not at all chunky, so I am going to experiment with different ratios of honey and some other binding ingredients, but honestly I prefer it this way when in yogurt!

Yay! thats so easy and delicious...  It made the two jars in the top picture, and should stay good for about a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment