Thursday, September 3, 2009

Caprese Salad: a tribute to Soulard Farmer's Market

This is super basic (thought I am not sure my version has anything to do with the generally accepted Italian version), but with all these fresh ingredients from Soulard Farmer's Market - started in 1779... - I've been eating it over and over again for a week. It is so fresh and light...


1 large, fresh, red tomato
1/4 - 1/4 lb fresh mozzarella cheese
~ the Amish sell amazing meat and dairy at Soulard...
5-6 sweet basil leaves
~I will always plug fresh grown herbs, and theyre cheap, too
~the leaves on my plant are each about an inch long, to give you an idea of leaf size
a drizzle of olive oil (about 2 tbsp?)
sprinkle of salt
a large handful of chopped lettuce (make sure its crispy)

secret ingredients:
- 3/4 tbsp dried celery flakes
- 1 tbsp of dried garlic and dried red bell pepper spice
I know these are random, but I got them at a homemade-type spice shop in Soulard, and they make EVERYTHING better... I didn't even know I like celery!

Chop the tomato and sprinkle salt over top.
Cut up the mozzarella cheese into 1/2 in cubes
cut up the basil leaves and add
Throw in the lettuce; drizzle oil and spices over top.
Stir!
Let sit for about 10 minutes because the spices are dehydrated and need to sit with the juices to get the full effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment