Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Toastiest Toast

Some of you may scoff at this seemingly obvious/stupid post. My aunts sure laughed at me when I wanted to write down the recipe. But if there is one thing I have learned from doing this blog it is that no one thinks to tell you things that you think are obvious. They assume, and your directions remain incomplete. Therefore, you have to not just ask how to do things, but WATCH them being done.

And I've never had toast anywhere as good as the toast my grandma and aunts make up in Roanoke, Virginia.

So really, I did this for you.

You need a toaster, sliced bread, butter and an oven.

Obvious: homemade bread is best. "Salt risin bread" is a good second, but I personally have never seen this, but my dad and his 7 siblings sing lure of its existence at Krogers when they were little. Those fresh breads that groceries are starting to sell as if they came from a real bakery are really good options, but I am fairly sure I remember them using plain white store bread and it was damn good.


Directions:
1.Preheat oven to 215F
2. toast bread in a toaster
3. butter one side generously (or dont, if you think those few calories aren't worth the deliciousness...)
4. throw toast in the oven and wait anywhere between 30 minutes and 3 hours, depending on how crispy toasty you want it. I
-if you don't leave it for long, the bottom (unbuttered side) will be crisp and the top soft from the butter. a good option, in my opinion
- if you wait longer, its all nice and crispy for you.

My aunt always puts in a batch in the morning when we visit, and no matter when you wake up (or even later while you wait for lunch) there is toast, just inside the oven. The best part is that the temperature is so low you can just reach in and grab it when you want!

No comments:

Post a Comment